| Minister defends Translink fares freeze despite possibility of cuts to services Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 15:28, 24th May 2026 | ![]() ![]() ![]() |
From the BBC:
Minister defends Translink fares freeze despite possibility of cuts to services
The Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins has defended freezing bus and train fares across Northern Ireland, despite warnings from Translink that it could reduce public transport services and discounts.
Cuts to services across Metro, Ulsterbus and NI Railways are being explored under the proposals, with the company trying to make savings of £10m.
Translink is publicly owned but operates at arm's length from Stormont's Department for Infrastructure (DfI).
Despite proposals to cut services, Kimmins said on Sunday that her decision last month to freeze fares for a second year running was the right move.
Kimmins said "for every decision there is a consequence and in this case I feel that the consequences of increasing fares would have been far more detrimental than freezing fares". She said she would continue to work with Translink "so that we can find solutions and find a way forward".
Translink's Chief Executive Chris Conway previously told a Stormont committee that freezing fares has cost more than £20m of revenue over the past nine years.
However, speaking on Sunday, the minister said that putting fares up "at a time when people are struggling would act as a deterrent for people to use public transport, so we have to get the balance right".
(BBC article continues)
The Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins has defended freezing bus and train fares across Northern Ireland, despite warnings from Translink that it could reduce public transport services and discounts.
Cuts to services across Metro, Ulsterbus and NI Railways are being explored under the proposals, with the company trying to make savings of £10m.
Translink is publicly owned but operates at arm's length from Stormont's Department for Infrastructure (DfI).
Despite proposals to cut services, Kimmins said on Sunday that her decision last month to freeze fares for a second year running was the right move.
Kimmins said "for every decision there is a consequence and in this case I feel that the consequences of increasing fares would have been far more detrimental than freezing fares". She said she would continue to work with Translink "so that we can find solutions and find a way forward".
Translink's Chief Executive Chris Conway previously told a Stormont committee that freezing fares has cost more than £20m of revenue over the past nine years.
However, speaking on Sunday, the minister said that putting fares up "at a time when people are struggling would act as a deterrent for people to use public transport, so we have to get the balance right".
(BBC article continues)














